Monday, August 22, 2016

Norms in my PLC

This year I am a "PLC of 1" but thinking about norms in my educational communities made me think of the norms in my previous geometry PLC. 

In my PLC for the last two years we had the following norms:
  • Be student centered
  • Seek out and be open to newness and feedback
  • Maximize productivity
We were a brand new PLC when we formed these norms and we did it very intentionally.  I tried using post-its to do this, BUT got too much push back.  I do wonder how if I over-pushed for some of these norms because two of them are "Target-isms" from when I worked at Target.  So at the very least, I put my language into these.  HOWEVER, I truly believe that these norms helped our group accomplish things that I don't think most PLCs did in our building.  I think we really were student centered and maximized productivity.  I even think we did a great job of seeking out newness.  We probably needed to think about feedback more and put some structures in place to encourage that, BUT, again, when I think about what our PLC was able to do - our norms facilitated that.  

I wonder what my other PLC-mates think about our norms?  Do they think they played a big role?  A small role?  Do they think we had the same strengths and opportunities as what I saw?

From my perspective, in a lot of ways my experience with norms in my PLC foils that of my school/department so well.   Maybe it is just because I can name the norms of my PLC and with my school/department, I don't know where to start!  So, with that I am excited to get back to school and think about this more!

Other posts on norms:
  1. Norms at KSTF
  2. Norms in my classroom
  3. Norms in my educational communities

No comments:

Post a Comment