Wednesday, July 27, 2016

Continuing Code Camp work in the 16-17 school year

Attending Code Camp gave me some directed time to think about CS in school.  While I initially attended code camp to develop some ideas for my Adv. Alg. class, perhaps the most helpful thing about code camp has been looking at a lot of different applications of coding and then trying them out.

Here's where I want to go from here:

  • I still want to incorporate CT into my Adv. Alg curriculum.  I think I am going to focus on algorithm design as a CT idea.  To do this, I am going to start with a task that I will borrow from teacherCon to build class culture and the idea that thinking is really important in my classroom.  From there, I am going to do Bootstrap to give students a solid background in order of operations and functions.  It will be important for me to highlight where we use algorithm design in this process.  Finally, I am still going back and forth between doing Exeter style math in the class and doing more experience-based math in the classroom OR even doing more Interactive Note Books.  Regardless, I think I will end the units/weeks with having students design their own algorithm for some of the "big ideas" of the week.  We will put these algorithms into an interactive note book at the end.  I also liked Thach's idea of having a student DO a problem and then state what they did in each line to the side.  I think this would be another way to bring CT into the classroom.  I also will focus on stats on the computer in google sheets.
  • For my CS class...
    • I need to have them document their learning in one place (INB)
    • I need to have them read about the impact of CT in society (ACM - summarize them in INB)
    • I need them to keep an idea journal where they think of things they want to make (I need to do this myself AND I think it will help them keep track of their goals.
    • I will use the basic challenges (BELOW) to give my more eager students additional challenges. 
    • I will FORCE my students to document their code.
  • I also think I need to enhance my own programming experience.  I need to do some HTML tutorials and learn some CSS.  I think if I can commit to doing 3 hours of each of these I should be able to apply this to JavaScript.  I want to use all of this information to write my own google extension program OR make my own web page.  I need to develop a specific plan for what I want to create since once I know what I want to create, I will be more motivated to learn what I need to accomplish that goal.  Some ideas I currently have include:
    • A google extension that highlights the word "math" on a web page
    • A google extension that allows a user to enter words they want to have highlighted
    • A to-do manager in codePen (via advice from Eric).  Things to consider:
      • If I click on it it cancells out
      • Make it look nice (challenge with CSS)
      • Add things to a list [array of items] 
        • Learn about dynamically adding things to the JS
        • Look into lists in js
        • Do all CSS stuff and then do java script
      • Move into angular later
Programming challenges:

  • http://codekata.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment